Birthday wishes: what to write in a birthday card
When it comes to signing birthday cards, there are people who have no problem picking up a pen and adding a warm, personal message. Then there are those of us who sometimes have trouble getting beyond “Happy Birthday.” Wherever you fall on that inspiration spectrum, we have ideas to help you write a more meaningful message in your card.
In this guide, Hallmark writers offer birthday-message tips and inspiring examples. Just click on the appropriate category below to go straight to the birthday wishes you’re interested in, or you can read the whole guide and mix and match to create a custom message for your birthday person. We hope this little guide helps with the next birthday card you sign…and many more!
Happy Birthday Wishes
When the card has already said it all or you just feel like keeping things short and sweet, a few short, sweet words might be the way to go. Here are some ideas for adding a little extra warmth and personality to your mighty little message.
- “Happy, happy birthday, [Margie]!”
- “I hope you get to do something fun to celebrate!”
- “You deserve everything happy. Wishing you that all year long!”
- “[Aaron], hope you have a happy [27th]! Love ya!”
- “The happiest of birthdays to the [loveliest] of [daughters].”
- “Warmest wishes for a happy birthday,”
- “Hope today’s filled with all your favorite guilty pleasures!”
- “Hope you make your [25th] a birthday to remember!”
- “Go forth from this birthday and prosper in your [ukulele playing]!”
- “Another year older, and you just keep getting stronger, wiser, funnier and more amazing!”
- “Happy Birthday to one of my favorite people in the history of ever.”
- “Thanks for being here, for being you.”
- “Warmest wishes and love on your birthday and always!”
- “Be safe, have fun, take pictures, and enjoy every minute of this exciting time in your life!”
- “So grateful that God put you on this earth and in my life.”
- “Wishing you a happy birthday and a year that’s blessed.”
Funny Birthday Wishes
Sharing a laugh in a funny birthday card is a great way to personalize a card for someone you know well. Wisecracks about getting older, jokes about over-indulging, gags about gifts (or the lack thereof)—all are good possibilities for funny messages.
- “Happy birthday to my favorite former punk rocker!” (Or: hippie, goth, Valley Girl, grunge rocker)
- “From one of your favorite bad influences” (Added after the card’s printed “Happy Birthday”)
- “Hope it’s happier than me at a shoe sale!” (or: spa, bar, coffee shop, beach.)
- “You get to be the center of attention today! Tomorrow it’s back to me.
- “Have a martini for me! Or two!” (Or: substitute recipient’s favorite drink.)
- “I think this is the year you get a pony! JK That’s never.”
- “Happy birthday to you and your cat! (I know how the cat hates to be left out.)”
- “May the cake calories go straight to your boobs!”
- “To quote Shakespeare: ‘Party thine ass off!’”
- “Dibs on the presents you don’t like!”
- “You totally don’t look like crap at all!”
- “I hope all your wishes come true, even the weird ones.”
- “Sorry there’s no money in here.”
- “Please stop aging so gracefully. It’s getting kind of boring and predictable.”
- “Have a great day, you old geezer! (Takes one to know one, right?)”
Late really is better than never! If life, memory lapse or alien abduction has interfered with the timely delivery of your card, send it anyway. You can include a sincere or humorous apology…or just frame it as your way of extending the birthday fun!
- “So sorry these birthday wishes are late reaching you. I hope it was happy!”
- “Happy Birthday…a little late!”
- “You’re receiving this NOW and not on your ACTUAL birthday, because I am extremely thoughtful and wanted to be sure the celebration of YOU was not limited to just one day. That is so nice of me, right? Well, you are worth it.”
- “At least my Happy Birthday text was on time. That counts for something, right? ☺Happy Belated Birthday!”
- “I don’t know where my mind was, but I forgot your birthday…until now. At least this way I’ll stand out from the crowd when I tell you you’re amazing and awesome. Have a great year!”